[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rollout info

Posted By: Mislav Radica
Date: Thursday, 23 August 2007, at 10:48 a.m.

In Response To: Position 1/2 (Mislav Radica)

This position I find in British backgammon magazine 'Make Your Point'. You can find back issues in .pdf format here: http://www.gammonitis.com/ There are commented matches from Monte Carlo finnals 2004,2005,2006 by Chris Bray and Tod Davies.

This position is from Paul Money series 'Money Play'.

I will cite here his comment but before that which is important for me here is that the best play is one which break inner point in order to retain highest blocking points in prime. We have similar move here before week or two when such play was TCTC with some other. That was first time when I saw such kind of plays. In that position right move was 6pt breaking and putting two blots on ace and two point in order to preserver outfield prime structure in front of anchor.

Paul Money:

"4-4, the curse of the priming classes. Here as usual it is Blue's absolute worst roll. My play looks like an error (13/5 8/4(2)); those two checkers piled up against the anchor look weak, too inflexible to make points well or attack White later.

Snowie plays 9/1(2), a point which may be useful when the attack comes, but the favourite after the rollout is the highly complex 13/5 5/1(2)!!

This gets all the checkers into the area where they will eventually be needed and subtly gives Blue the opportunity to remake the prime sometimes. Of course it's bad if White can hit and escape, but it isn't immediately fatal and often leads to variations where Blue picks up another checker or two, with a healthy increase in the gammon rate."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.