[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why is dmp so important?

Posted By: Kevin Whyte
Date: Thursday, 18 August 2011, at 7:36 a.m.

In Response To: Why is dmp so important? (Chuck Bower)

As a mathematician and hopefully also a tactician I'd have to disagree. From a mathematical perspective they are just the kind of annoying combinatorial nonsense that happens occasionally when you wish it wouldn't. Tactically I think one cam just ignore it completely and sleep soundly - this is a much smaller effect than playing for effective doubles over EPC when way behind in the race, and even that matters basically not at in terms of equity/game played.

Here's something I find compelling as a mathematician but useless in actual play : non-contact positions with both sides having pip counts in the or with hundreds of checkers in their home boards. That's why I can't bring myself to use anything like 10% race lead for doubling - it is clear it must be on the order of the square root of the leader's pip count in general, so linear only works for some finite range. Fortunately I have Nack's rule to save me, and I only need the weird linear thing for low pip counts, and that's the kind of exception any mathematician is used to. Nonetheless, I'm trying to find something that covers races of all lengths and doesn't seem to break into arbitrary cases.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.