[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My own dmp thoughts

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 18 August 2011, at 7:50 p.m.

In Response To: My own dmp thoughts (Stick)

Stick wrote:

My ideal backgammon student would have never played the game. They wouldn't know the cube existed, what gammons or backgammons were, and they would come to me as a blank slate and say "Teach me to be the best." I would start them off with double match point games until they understood how to win.

Since both you and David Rockwell have said this, let me ask: Have you ever actually done this? To me it sounds like a nice theory but I'm skeptical unless I see it work out in practice.

I see this kind of theorizing in other areas. Someone says that they wish they had learned a subject a different way, but often it's a self-delusion. Now that they're an expert, they see how certain things logically fit together a certain way and they then assume that a beginning student would be better served learning things in logical order, but this is often false in practice because the pedagogically best way of approaching a subject is not always the same as the most logical order.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.