[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why is dmp so important?

Posted By: Kevin Whyte
Date: Friday, 19 August 2011, at 3:31 a.m.

In Response To: Why is dmp so important? (Chuck Bower)

Not an applied mathematician, but I don't work in combinatorics either. All I really meant here is that it is not uncommon to find combinatorial problems that are easy enough to work out in any particular case but where the result is sensitive enough to the details that no general pattern is easy to describe. These can be quite interesting on their own, but when they show up in an attempt to solve another problem it frequently means you aren't going to get the kind of answer you were hoping for.

My words did get badly mixed up in the other part. I was talking about studying races and particularly estimating equity and cube decisions for long races. Some of the mathematics one naturally wants to use doesn't really apply until the race is really long - like hundreds of rolls from the end. Obviously such positions have little relevance to actual backgammon, but I can't seem to stop myself from trying to figure them out.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.