[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

on soapbox

Posted By: Caryl Stephanson
Date: Wednesday, 29 August 2007, at 3:02 p.m.

In Response To: OT - Michael Vick (Marty Storer)

One could hope. Here in Canada there has been a long battle to change antequated laws about cruelty to animals. The farmers/ranchers are afraid that they will be charged with cruelty for such things as branding and castration so it gets voted down each time because the politicians don't want to lose their votes. The current maximum fine for animal cruelty in Canada is a mere $2,000 with a possible maximum two-year ban on animal ownership.

I am sickened by the number of cases we have had in the news here where animals were tortured for no particular reason. I think of the kittens burned alive, the dog torured then thrown out on the highway like a piece of trash. The two year old golden retriever found on her owners doorstep with 13 stab wounds. For me this equals the abuse of children only for the reason that we are indeed keepers of our fellow creatures, all of them, in particular those unable to run or defend themselves.

There have been too many case studies overwhelmingly concluding that torture of animals ALWAYS precedes the torture and killing of people. Remember Jeffrey Dahmer? In child abuse cases social workers are told to see if there is an animal in the home also and if it has been abused to consider the odds of the children/spouse also being abused to be very high. If you doubt this, google it. Here is just one site that keeps stats: www.pet-abuse.com/

I would also like to address happyjuggler here. Bro, you know I luv ya. However, I find some of your argument specious at best. Yes, there is bullfighting in the world and you argue that somehow that makes it ok for dogfighting? To follow that reasoning, it is ok to have a child starve in an inner city (pick one) because millions are starving in other areas of the world?

Juggler, I agree with you that both veal and foie de gras are cruel; that is why I don't eat either. And I don't buy warehoused animals, I buy from ranchers. I have tried the vegetarian way and it does not work for me. I need protein. As for pigs being more intelligent than dogs I agree. They have even been found to use tools, which at one time is what supposedly singled out man as more intelligent than all the rest of the animals.

I like the native American way of giving thanks at each meal to the earth and the food I am eating. I am human and I forgive myself the necessity of killing in order to live.

I remember reading a study that showed carrots emit a high frequency scream when pulled from the ground. I wonder how vegetarians argue that one...

Ok I will step down now. And if people wish to disagree, know I do not take offence, I embrace discussion. I learn a lot this way.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.