[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Mastering Backgammon series by Bill Robertie

Posted By: Marty Storer
Date: Wednesday, 29 August 2007, at 3:27 p.m.

In Response To: Mastering Backgammon series by Bill Robertie (Geoff Arnold)

It's hard for anyone to claim best-in-the-world status. Robertie is awfully good, as I can attest from playing him and having seen him play. I doubt he's the world's best. He may not even believe that himself, but he might. If you say something loudly and persistently enough, others may come to believe it, as indeed might you. Robertie does have an eye for what benefits him commercially, as do many if not most other backgammon writers.

What I like least about Robertie's writings is his de-emphasis of hard data (bot rollouts) and his occasional tendency to gloss over details that I consider pertinent. Another Boston player refers to the latter as "relentless dumbing-down" but I don't go quite that far. Anyway, there's far more that I like about what he writes than I dislike.

As far as opening 41, Robertie came up with good arguments for the minor split quite a few years ago, not sure whether pre-bot or not but I doubt it. He evidently still believes them. I'm undecided, and close bot rollouts won't sway me one way or the other.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.