[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

XG CLI?

Posted By: Jeremy Bagai
Date: Wednesday, 7 December 2011, at 12:17 a.m.

Hi gang,

Does XG have a CLI (Command Line Interface?)

In 2006 I wrote a DOS Batch file that talked to GnuBG’s CLI (Command Line Interface) such that I could specify a position (a file) have it return the cube action for that position at every score in a seven-point match. The output looked like this.

(The Line “Money Game Cube Action” to the right of the diagram indicates the position is a double-pass for money. Not doubling would be a .110 error, while taking would be a .087 error. The third line from the bottom shows that at 2-away 4-away, doubling would be a .028 error, and passing would be a .145 error.)

The goal was to study how the match score effects doubling strategy, and to perhaps write a book similar in spirit to Ortega and Kleinman’s wonderful Cubes and Gammons Near the End of the Match.

However, I got sidetracked by what was, to me, a new and exciting anomaly: The EMG (Equivalent to Money Game) metric that GnuBg (and Jellyfish, Snowie, and XG) uses to report errors in match play is dramatically inconsistent across match scores in a way I would never have guessed. I wrote up that finding here, but, having no alternative to propose in its stead, the topic became a non-starter. (Someday, I’m sure, a young math nerd will show us how we should have been reporting errors all along and we’ll look back and laugh at the days when we thought EMG error rates were the best predictor of match-play success.) Also, I got sidetracked by employment.

Now that I’m over both distractions, I’m thinking about restarting the book project. I’d prefer to use XG for the data (stronger, faster than Gnu), but as far as I know XG does not have a CLI. I’m not up for changing the settings by hand 70 or more times for each position, so one option is to go back to Gnu, which is still very strong and very fast. Unless . . .

• Is there an XG CLI available that I’m unaware of?
  • Is there another scripting tool that will let me get the data I’m looking for from XG without having to make the score adjustments by hand?
  • Might Xavier (Hi Xavier!) have a developer CLI that I (or perhaps anyone interested) could have access to?
Thanks,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.