[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

GIANTS'2012 REVIEW(very long)

Posted By: Strato
Date: Tuesday, 24 January 2012, at 7:00 a.m.

In Response To: GIANTS'2012 REVIEW(very long) (Iancho Hristov)

On the Giants page it used to say something like:

Every two years since 1993, Yamin Yamin of Illinois has surveyed Championship-level players and tournament directors around the world, asking them to rank players according to who they think are the most respected and feared by their fellow competitors?

==========================

Now it says:

He asks them to rank the best players in the world, considering the level of their involvement with backgammon and their tournament skills over the past two years.

Which players are the most respected by their fellow competitors?

==========================

I wonder why the wording has changed – maybe it was explained somewhere and I missed it. But I translate that to mean that the vote is supposed to be based on what each tournament player or tournament director has personally surmised and knows about the players’ skill and accomplishments.

Iancho Hristov has truly done the backgammon community a tremendous service by providing us with his statistical data. Thank you for that Iancho.

However, with ballots being filled at this very moment, I don't think anyone should be throwing their Giants picks out there, and especially not with their criteria on how to vote along with data/history backing up their suggestions because that can influence how someone (perhaps a person lacking a bit of information) may vote. If that happens the Giants ranking can lose credibility.

(By the way, despite what I said above, I still believe in the Giants ranking and that the voters are not easily influenced.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.