[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Daily Quiz 2/21

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Friday, 24 February 2012, at 2:30 a.m.

In Response To: Daily Quiz 2/21 (Daily Quiz)

1. Being ahead in the race, I instinctively want to enter with bar/20. The disadvantage is that White has plenty of checkers that she wants to unload on us, and she is not too afraid to play boldly despite her weak board since she's behind in the race with more checkers back. Also, what's the ace? Probably 24/23, though nothing looks really appetizing. The alternative is to enter with bar/24 and then either hit with 6/1* or come down with 13/8. Hitting looks wrong, so the choice comes down to bar/20 24/23 versus bar/24 13/8. I will go ahead and try bar/20 24/23 despite the risk.

2. If we hold the five-prime, then 6/1 is forced, and then I would play 24/23 for the ace, since 22/21 looks suicidal and 6/5 robs us of a 5 to play. If we are willing to break the prime, then 7/2* is the only 5 that makes sense to me, and then we have to choose between 22/21 and 6/5. Breaking the prime looks too costly so I will try 24/23 6/1.

3. We're behind in the race and ahead in the match. Four checkers back and only 9 checkers in the zone. I think this has to be a take. I'm not sure it's a double but the 8pt-6pt-5pt-4pt formation is very strong and we certainly have market losers (e.g., if we point on White's checker, or perhaps if we make our five-prime and White dances). D/T.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.