[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Taking a principled stand on clocks

Posted By: STEVE HAST
Date: Monday, 26 March 2012, at 2:28 a.m.

In Response To: Taking a principled stand on clocks (Jason Lee)

Here is the reply from a "hold-out" Tournament Director... Jason in 2006 the ONLY Backgammon Tournaments on our planet that were better attended than Pittsburgh were Vegas, Monte Carlo and Denmark. We had almost 200 players playing WITHOUT clocks and there were NO complaints from the players. I was told that we could not accomodate that many players (80) in the Championship bracket in a regular 2 day weekend tournament. Main event play was completed by 5 pm Sunday. How? By having a tournament staff actively making sure matches did not take an unduly long time. If necessary I put a clock on a match. For 17 years I built up the Pittsburgh tournament on two principals, providing great hospitality throughout the weekend and providing the best possible value to the BG players. We also were able to have 24-36 NOVICES attend the tourney each year. You talk about wanting to improve backgammon but do not wish to support one of the few BG tourneys that goes out of its way to get beginners and novices to attend. Smart on your part- I think NOT! YOu havent seen this years Pittburgh BG Tourn brochure but here are a few details you dont know and should consider in your "boycott". We are offering two free seminars during hte weekend..IN ADDITON , PhilSimborg is to run two 1 1/2 hr clinics for BEGINNER players and on Saturday we will have activities for BEGINNERS -not in tournament form...Novices will still have theor regular event..We are trying to bring in and TEACH new players hwo to play tournament backgammon. Still feeling like your "boycott" is a good idea? I am mature enough to believe in a SWISS MOVEMENT format with 9 pt matches , giving players 2 hr and 10 min per match that we will not have problems in the main events. My biggest concern for slow moving events is Doubles ..My staff will keep close tabs and use clocks as needed. I have used clocks and baffle boxes . I am not a fan of either.Based on the attendence at my tournaments, IN THE PAST BG players have not felt them to be REQUIRED. There are players that want to boycott BG tourneys that do not allow taping of matches.. Decisions by the tournament director have to be made on what he/she believes is fairest for everyone. If you can not play in my tourney, then to improve the game and to help get more players tournament ready, come to Pittsurgh and run the Beginner activites throughout the weekend. Jason, check around, ASK , how many BG players have had a "bad" experience at one of my tournaments. My staff this year is Butch and Mary Ann Meese , my son Ryan and my "money man for EVERY tourn I do , Jeff Sutker. I probably didnt cover 100% of my rebuttal but it is a good start

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.