[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tournaments -- Attendance and More (Probably Much too Long)

Posted By: Strato
Date: Sunday, 3 June 2012, at 6:28 p.m.

In Response To: Tournaments -- Attendance and More (Probably Much too Long) (Bill Riles)

Hi Bill,

Excellent post, well-written and thought out, I enjoyed reading it a lot. Your post gave me an idea that might help attendance in the USA.

Let's talk about only the Open (Championship) level for now. There were some 21 ABT tournaments in 2011 with somewhere close to a total of 900 paid entry fees at the Championship level in the 21 events.

What the ABT and its tournaments directors could do, is collect an additional, mandatory $10 ABT Championship Prize Pool Fee which goes into a pot and is distributed to the top 5 or 10 players at the end of the year. That's about $9,000 at the end of the ABT season. After each event, the money collected is sent to Bill Davis to hold on to.

One of the conditions is that you MUST attend 50% of the tournaments in order to be eligible to the prize pool payouts. So for example, if you only attended five events and you're the #1 ranked ABT player at the end of the year you get nothing.

Of course, everything I say above can be adjusted, the money could be distributed to the top 20 players (the more the merrier), you can make the ABT Champ Fee only $5 or even $20, and change attending 50% of the tournaments to 30%, or whatever. By the way, I don't think a Championship level players has a problem paying an extra $10 or $20 for something like this.

I understand that it is difficult for some to attend all ABT events, but if this gives more people the incentive to attend more often, the prize pool will be A LOT more than $9,000 at the end of the year.

Also, I think that such a prize pool would attract players from other countries, such as Canada, Japan, England, France, Germany, Denmark, Greece, Italy, etc. etc.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.