[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tournaments -- Attendance and More (Probably Much too Long)

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Monday, 4 June 2012, at 2:46 a.m.

In Response To: Tournaments -- Attendance and More (Probably Much too Long) (Bill Riles)

As a player who is well versed in getting eliminated from main tournaments, what I like are good side events to keep me occupied after I've been drummed out.

It's a little silly, but I like a good blitz tournament -- the type where you have 4 or 8 player brackets, winners feed into playoffs, which has a nice payoff for the winner. By "good" I mean one where you can get in any time, and not have to wait too long before the next bracket starts. I like the blitz because I can play a bunch, but still have a whisker of a chance at a decent payoff.

I'd like to see each tournament have one clever or unique side event. Maybe a variant (hit man, hypergammon, cancelgammon), maybe speedgammon, maybe some USBGF event... something a little different. Don't run your tournament the same way every time. Try something different.

And for goodness sake, please everybody... ditch the stupid 2-pt quickie/minimatch. Since everybody in the room thinks they're a genius and can outmaneuver their opponent, you get precious few cubes. Just make it a one pointer and be done with it already.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.