[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Pls ignore this unsolicited rollout -- it is unreliable and could well also be dangerous

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Monday, 4 June 2012, at 9:09 p.m.

In Response To: Pls ignore this unsolicited rollout -- it is unreliable and could well also be dangerous (Snua)

I, for one, appreciate having both rollouts. I think Paul’s “extra” result only bolsters yours.
I would like it even better if the two of you would change XG’s setting so that it does not use default seed 1.

Here’s how:

You can change XG’s seed options by opening the “Options and Settings” dialog box. Click Options->Settings, and then click the Rollouts tab. At the bottom of the tab, put a check mark in the check box labeled “Generate a new seed randomly each time the program starts.”

This setting should be the factory default. As well, I think the seed should always be displayed, even when its value is 1.

There is nothing particularly wrong with using the seed 1 — rollouts with that seed are just as valid as those with any other seed — but there is a good reason not to use it. It has to do with combining rollouts from different sources. In order to combine two rollouts, their seeds must be different.

Note: Some of my remarks here were first posted in BGO Msg. No. 115882, where I mistakenly referred to seed 0 as the default.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.