[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tournaments -- Attendance and More (Probably Much too Long)

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Tuesday, 5 June 2012, at 4:33 a.m.

In Response To: Tournaments -- Attendance and More (Probably Much too Long) (Strato)

I understand that it is difficult for some to attend all ABT events,

I suppose that's true, since about 60% of ABT players in 2011 attended only one tournament all year.

[Among open players in 2011, 1 player attended 19 tournaments, 1 attended 15, 1 attended 14, 2 attended 12, 1 attended 10.]

Michael,

Your suggestion, minus details, is that X dollars be taken out of the entry fees of all tournaments, and divided at the end of the year among the Y best players who have attended at least Z tournaments.

It's hard for me to see how this would be an incentive to play in any tournaments, much less in more tournaments, except to those who both rate to be among the Y best players and expect to attend at least Z tournaments. Whatever incentive it is to them is diminished, it seems to me, by the fact that the Y best players are already awarded for their participation, by their expected share of winnings of entry fees unreduced by the proposed "pool fee."

You threw out for discussion or as illustrations for your idea several numbers -- $5 or $10 or $20 per player taken out of every tournament, to be distributed to the top 5 or 10 or 20 players, who have attended 20% or 30% or 50% of all the tournaments. But my comments above aren't directed at any particular numbers. Whatever numbers chosen would, to be effective, have to encourage some players who don't attend Z tournaments to increase their attendance to at least Z. But presumably those players wouldn't attend more tournaments if they did not also expect to be among the Y players dividing up the pool.

I'd just note, since you mentioned 21 tournaments in 2011, that 50% is 11, 30% is 6, and 20% is 4. In 2011, counting open and intermediate players:

5 or 6 players attended 11 or more tournaments.
about 35 players attended 6 or more tournaments.
as a rough estimate, about 65-70 players attended 4 or more tournaments.

About 555 players, out of 884, attended only one tournament (that's the 407 who attended only one "event" plus, as a sample showed, 2/3 of those who attended two "events").

Which leaves about 260-265 players who attended 2 or 3 tournaments.

In setting the Y and Z targets, which players would you be trying to convince to attend, and how much more often? How many tournaments would they have to attend? And if they met the attendance target, could they also expect to be among the "Y best players" divvying up the prize money?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.