[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Luck vs Skill

Posted By: Pete
Date: Tuesday, 5 June 2012, at 8:34 p.m.

In Response To: Luck vs Skill (Seth)

I remember reading a book that covered this subject. If memory serves me, I think the author was Oswald Jacoby.

In his book he said that backgammon is basically a game with alot of luck and some skill. The numbers used was 80% luck to 20% skill. This is why on any give match an intermediate player can beat any world champion. All the intermediate has to do is have the luck on his side to win.

On the other hand if the same two players play a long session all night, the world champion will win the money. The example he gave was that both players in a long session will share the 80% luck as it evens out. However, the 20% skill factor is another story. The author goes on to say that if the world champion has 15% and the intermediate has 5% of the 20% skill, the skill factor difference will allow the world champion to take home the cash in the given long session.

He also said that because of the luck factor and the chance that anyone can beat a very good player is what makes backgammon the game it is. It allows weak players to keep coming back thinking they can win.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.