[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Should all tournaments be "open to all" and "fair"?

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Thursday, 7 June 2012, at 1:46 p.m.

In Response To: SURVEY - Backgammon Needs you! (Henrik Bukkjaer)

This long post and almost off topic discussion, could spin off a very relevant question:

Should a given national championship be "open" and "even" to all players?

In the DBgF we have very precise ratings, based on actual play and results (all tournament matches played in Denmark is rated, weeklies, leagues and big championships).

So in the DBgF National Championship, should all players be allowed entry, no matter their rating and results? Should good players be seeded to aim for interesting final rounds with the best players and biggest names? Should such tours be capped (keep in mind, we have the precise rating to use when capping)?

If you look at other sports and championships the objectives seem different.

In Golf Majors, pros and amateurs are allowed in the fields. But tell me that even though I'm a member of the US amateur golf association, or a member of the US PGA, I have the "same fair" chance to win as the top 50 ranked players?! Should I have that? I need to play through qualify tour and qualify tour and so on, whereas world ranked number 87 player get direct entry into the final.

Would you require the best chess player in the US, to play through 4 days of local qualifiers against low rated players, instead of allowing him direct entry into the US Chess Championships?

The problem is, that you would loose a lot of entries from the best players, if they don't get this kind of "seed". The hell with them if they don't want to earn it and play, you could argue. But is that really the point of the highest (national) championship of a given federation?

Maybe there are a few tournaments, where you actually prefer and expect to see the best of the best pitted against each other in the final stages?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.