[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Legal moves only at Novi 2012?

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Sunday, 8 July 2012, at 1:16 a.m.

Does anyone know whether the Open Division at Novi 2012 mandates “legal moves only?”

I ask because it came up during the match between Stick and Harold Rex. On four occassions in the match, Stick corrected errors that Howard made, as though they were playing “legal moves.” Three of the errors, had they not been corrected, would have strongly favored Stick.

In one case, Howard forgot to punch the clock after he offerred a double. In the local tournament where I play, I have made this mistake myself. Gentlemen, such as Odis Chenault and, in this case, Stick, will simply point out the error. But many a sportsman will not. I have had opponents feign deep thought for 1 or 2 minutes or more as they watch my clock tick down.

In another case, Howard was taking back a play, and thought he had hit Stick. The hit had actually been several turns earlier. Howard made the mistake of putting Stick’s checker from the bar back on Stick’s 2pt. Considering that Howard had a five-point board, Stick was giving up quite an advantage when he pointed out the error.

The third time Stick forewent a chance to let an advantageous error stand occurred when Howard only played three deuces in a roll of 22. Due in part to that, Howard had missed an opportunity to move in pairs. When Stick corrected him, there was a big chance that Howard would reconsider his bad play. In practice, he did not. He moved the fourth deuce without reconsidering the other three.

So long as they were not playing “legal moves,” it would not have been cheating to allow Howard’s errors to stand. Stick would have accrued great advantage. A person who is determined to win at any cost, willing to sacrifice manners and ethics, would not have passed up the opportunity.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.