[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Legal moves only at Novi 2012?

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, at 3:33 a.m.

In Response To: Legal moves only at Novi 2012? (Daniel Murphy)

Daniel: For what it's worth, in Mike's first example, he says that "many a sportsman" might "feign deep thought" while a couple of minutes ticks off their opponent's clock. I would refer such "sportsmen" to Patrick Gibson's 2009 post on clock ethics, here: http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=35662

Thanks, Daniel, for you comments, and especially for the link Patrick Gibson's 2009 post on clock ethics. I will be bringing it to the attention of the tournament director in the local club where I play.

Just last month, in the tournament finals, I had a player pull one of them on me. I was on the bar against a closed board, and when my opponent finally opened up, I accidentlly punched the clock one time too many. He announced that my turn was over, even though I had not rolled. I neither complained, nor asked for a ruling. Considering that I lost a gammon by one roll, I now wish that I had.

For contrast, consider what happenned in an earlier match against Odis Chenault. We had agreed to play legal moves, and in one game where he had me closed out, and after asking permission, he actually punched the clock for both of us at the end of his turns. At no cost to him, it saved me a little bit of hassle. Later, when the tables were turned, I did the same thing for him.

As for the remark about feigning deep thought, did not say that might happen. I said that is has happenned to me more than once.

This is same local club where Ken Bame reported recently that mandatory clocks have solved more problems than they have caused. My experiences notwithstanding, Ken is probably right.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.