[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Standard Deviation

Posted By: Jake Jacobs
Date: Friday, 31 August 2012, at 4:30 a.m.

In Response To: Standard Deviation (Bob Koca)

If you guys are being all deviant and shit (I've been watching The Wire, again, can you tell?) looking at the players with live and online results there seems to be a "live" effect: people playing live have worse PRs for the most part than those playing online. The sample sizes are small, but this seems intuitively correct for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Ignoring Stick as the outlier, the others listed in the thread were averaging around .65 or .7 worse? (I am too lazy to scroll back.) So if the mean of this effect for players with low PR was .7, wouldn't you want the deviation associated with it?

I guess what I am saying is that if Stick plays live -- and playing a match like this with a proctor would, I think, be "live," even if done online - you give him 2.75 (or whatever) and then figure out how unlikely his result is.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.