[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How to adjust entry fee in 2^n brackets for first round byes?

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Friday, 31 August 2012, at 9:55 a.m.

In Response To: How to adjust entry fee in 2^n brackets for first round byes? (Henrik Bukkjaer)

Henrik: My point is, that it might “even out in the long run”, but that doesn't change the fact that it screws up the individual tournament results.

You are right. All you have to do is take a look at the bracket sheet in a typical tournament to see that those who reach the semi-finals and beyond have all too often been blessed with a bye. Does the best player become world champ, or does the good player who also drew a bye get the crown? As often as not, it’s the bye.

Systems that “charge” a player who receives a bye serve only to equalize the cash equity in a tournament. A player who gets a bye will still have an “unfair” advantage to win the tournament, the title and master points that go with it. So be it. At least we can even out the cash.

As for the notion that things might “even out in the long run,” my point is that there is no long run, at least not for many of us. Take ABT events, for instance, and similar national and international tournaments, where the prizes are roughly on a par. I have just played in my third such event. I was not kidding when I said that I will be dead before I have played the 500 to 1000 events that it takes to even out the byes. At the rate I’m going, I doubt I’ll make 100.

Not everyone is trapped into the short run. I tip my hat to Neil, Coolrey, and the others who, by now, must be playing in their second 1000. You guys beat the system.

Aside 1: Although I have not done the calculations since college, I know that a coin toss with only 100 trials is expected to come out 55/45 (one way or the other) more often than 50/50. That is my basis for claiming that 100 tournaments is not near enough to “even out the byes.” It occurs to me, however, that the odds of drawing a bye in most cases is much lower than the 50% of a coin toss. Doesn’t this mean that I will have have to wait even longer for the byes to even out? Is 1000 trials enough? I am not sure it is.

Aside 2: Bob Koca designed a very interesting method to even out cash equity. In his scheme, entrance fees are the same for all players. No one receives a bye until the “playoffs” are reached. All players in the playoff win cash. Those who draw a bye in the playoff, receive reduced prizes.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.