[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another way to absolve Stick!

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 1 September 2012, at 2:46 p.m.

In Response To: Another way to absolve Stick! (Henrik Bukkjaer)

I agree that Stick's comments influence how people think of this issue. On average, I think people take Stick's comments at face value too much. In particular, on the issue of "pressure," just because Stick says he doesn't feel pressure, doesn't mean that he's using the word "pressure" in exactly the same sense as other people might mean it. More importantly, I don't see it as a denial that a player's performance will vary depending on playing conditions. Stick just doesn't seem to think that the right word to explain such variation is "pressure." To some extent, I can see something to this argument. For example, if the room where I'm playing is too cold or noisy or whatever, I can imagine that my performance would suffer, but I wouldn't refer to such distractions as "pressure." They're distractions. Similarly, I'd regard a proctor as a distraction. Others might quite reasonably say that the proctor puts pressure on the player, and they might or not mean the same thing as I do.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.