[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Poll - Yes, but...

Posted By: Strato
Date: Sunday, 2 September 2012, at 6:30 a.m.

In Response To: Poll - Yes, but... (Bob Koca)

I'll give you an example as to why a player might be suspected of cheating and is later exonerated.

Player A plays a series of matches against Player B. When Player A analyzes the matches later, he discovers that Player B played an amount of the games/matches at a low PR. Player A is not sure if Player B is cheating but thinks he should report him to the server in case Player B is really cheating and that others have reported him as well. By the way, Player A is probably not an expert player.

Then, let's say, Player C comes along and plays Player B sometime (days, weeks) later and something similar happens, same sort of conditions, and Player C decides he should report Player B.

Now there are two players that want to know if they were cheated by Player B.

I am sent all of Player B's match files to check - I can find out which ones involve Player A or Player C, but I prefer not to know for the initial investigation. If I feel I need to know, I can ask later.

I analyze all the matches and get the suspect’s (Player B's) average PR. That tells me a lot. If the Player B's average PR is not World Class or ET, then there is reason to believe he is not cheating and it is usually a waste of time to continue investigating further, however, I always do continue checking because there are some tricks players use to avoid a suspicious PR... those tricks I won't go into.

When I continue to investigate, I look at the matches that were played at a low PR. I go through the matches move by move. If I discover that there were many plays that were obvious and straightforward, usually due to a series of good dice rolls, to the point that almost anyone could have played them correctly then the player was not cheating in those matches.

It is not uncommon that an Intermediate or Beginner player, in a series of short matches, can play some of them World Class or better, though it might seem abnormal to another Intermediate or Beginner player, especially one who was on the losing side of the board.

Of course, I also check some of the matches where Player B, played less than World Class, just to confirm he really is, for example, an Intermediate player.

There is a little more involved, but that is just one example of how a player might be dismissed of the accusations.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.