[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Playing to wrong match length

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 27 November 2012, at 6:59 p.m.

In Response To: Playing to wrong match length (konstantin)

We know it is impossible to measure 4" and we know there will not be a policeman standing by to be sure someone shakes 3 times. That doesn't mean we don't need minimum standards to alert people as to what is proper. The only time these factors will come into use is when someone is, or might be, abusing the rules by shaking very little, or not vigorously, or by laying the dice on the table, etc. In that case, the opponent and the TD now have clear "ammunition" to show that the player is abusing the rolling rules. Right now we can only complain that he does not shake "enough" or he is dropping them "too close" to the table. What does that mean? How can you say what is enough? Now we can say.

But the most important thing is that I now know what the rules expect me to do. I know, myself, that to be a fair player I must shake hard at least 3 times, and I must drop the dice from a reasonable height. I will do this because I want to be fair and follow the rules, and no one will ever have a right to suggest otherwise about me if I follow these rules. And if I see my opponent violating these standards, I am no longer being "picky" by asking him to shake more, or keep his cup off the table, or his fingers away from the dice...I am only asking him to follow the rules.

If you don't think these details should be specified, then what would you recommend? Anything short of spelling out guidelines leads to ambiguity and disagreements and arguments.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.