[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rejection of these ideas--clarification

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 28 November 2012, at 7:23 p.m.

In Response To: Ruling for checkers with finger dimples... (Henrik Bukkjaer)

In a previous post I stated that I wanted to propose a comprehensive set of rules and guidelines for years but the idea was either rejected or greatly discouraged by "ruling" bodies.

I was NOT referring to the current leadership of the USBGF (Perry and his excellent board of directors) but to people involved in the initial start up of the USBGF. In hindsight, I can see their point...the organization was new and not well-established and did not want to come off as a "ruling body" and did not want to try to dictate policy to the ABT or anyone else. By the way, the current organization has worked hard to maintain that philosophy--that cooperation and working together with the players and tournament directors and groups is the best way to promote the game, and there has been great cooperation between the ABT and USBGF as a result.

Many years ago I also discussed this concept with Bill Davis, Howard Markowitz and other tournament directors and leaders in the ABT, and they were very much against the idea of having more comprehensive rules and guidelines for a variety of reasons, none of which I have ever completely understood or found valid. I am heartened that yesterday I received comments from Howard that were most complimentary and in favor of the overall concept, (though of course, there were some individual rules he did not favor).

Jeb and Chuck and I were invited by Perry to work with the USBGF Rules Committee to produce this guide, but we felt we could get it done more efficiently alone that then submit it to the USBGF. The USBGF has been nothing but supportive, and the reaction thus far has been most positive, and I hope they will take the lead in joining with other Federations to adopt an international, standard set of rules, standards, and guidelines for tournament play (whether they use the ones we proposed or not).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.