[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Simborg Rule: Possible Application

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 3 December 2012, at 8:56 a.m.

In Response To: Simborg Rule: Possible Application (Bob Koca)

Bob, you might well be right about this rule, however, how much have you tried it? I have played with this rule on many occasions for many years, both in private money game and in "Kill Phil" events at several tournaments where this rule was featured (and there was a bonus for beating me as well). My experience, and that of most people who played it, agreed, that the game does more quickly become more complex and complicated. No, it does not just shift the luck to the second roll, because there are more blots on the first roll, and even if the first roller is not able to make a point, he still has somewhat of an advantage having rolled first, so that if the second roller does roll well, his equity is somewhat diminished by the other player having the first move.

In other word, try it several times, as I and many others have, and then see what you think of the rule.

I have been around long enough to know that there is no way the game is about to change and accept this rule, but I have seen people agree to use it as a side event and if that were to happen more, eventually enough people might like it more and it could some day be adopted. If nothing else, it is a fun and interesting side event and variation.

I wonder what it took for people to accept the doubling cube and the Crawford Rule before they became fully accepted? I suspect it was tried privately and in some special events and side events before it caught on as well. And I suspect there were many how fought the concepts bitterly until they tried it and saw the beauty of it. (There are people around today who argue against the Crawford Rule and many around the world who don't use the cube or use the Jacoby rule. There are places where the opening roll can be doubles--talk about gaining a huge advantage on the first roll!) So just because something is new, and just because there is resistance, doesn't mean the idea is not worthy.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.