[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Sportive Cubing

Posted By: Bob Koca
Date: Monday, 3 December 2012, at 3:00 p.m.

In Response To: Sportive Cubing (Colin Owen)

Oh my, it was too late for me to be posting. Yes it is 1 out of 512 and not 1 out of 256. You seem to think that it is a positive that a contest could quickly give one player such a huge advantage and stay that way for many games. As a thought experiment what would you rather do? Choice A: play a series of DMP backgammon games. Choice B: play a series of contests in which you first play a DMP backgammon match. The loser of that can still win the contest by winning 9 games in a row after that.

Regarding the cubing issue. You talk about advantages at being better at memorization and calculation but overlook entirely the issue of how recube power and gammons blend together.

Yes I got the math wrong later again. The ratio is 54.9 to 45.1 which is less than 56.1 to 43.9. It is close though. And the ratio of winning the match will probably be greater than it is for % of tiems that a 1a - 5a score is reached. The point is that your claim that the change makes it more likely for the better player to win is not at all obvious even ignoring the issue of possibly easier cube play.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.