[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Colorless Counting--A clever concept

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 28 December 2012, at 10:33 p.m.

In Response To: Colorless Counting--A clever concept (Timothy Chow)

I don't completely agree with you, as since I have learned the meaning of VR in rollouts, I now apply it to my checker play decisions. In fact, VR is an important element of MCV (Most Common Variation). When I am trying to decide whether to hit or make the point, in both cases I will first look at the jokers and see how many there are and if there is anything I can do about it. If 6-6 is going to kill me no matter what I play, I eliminate that from my considerations and calculations. If 6-6 kills me with one play, but 5-5 kills me with another, they rule each other out and again, I don't consider those rolls in calculating the equity gain or loss from each play.

I often go much further in the use of VR, looking only at the rolls that hit or run and assuming all other rolls are relatively neutral, so I only measure the affects of the swing rolls.

For me, this is a new approach that I did not know or use 20 years ago, however, that doesn't mean the strategy wasn't there...I just didn't know about it. However, even if it is a new approach, I am not sure we can call it a truly new concept.

After reading all the comments in this thread, I tend to believe we have many new shortcuts and aids but not much in the way of a whole new way of thinking that changes our overall approach to playing the game. Back to the main theme of this thread, UCC is truly innovative and clever, and can be useful over the board. It is a new way of thinking that I don't believe anyone has ever thought of before. But it will not effectively change how we play the game. It is a shortcut.

Making the DMP play might be a new concept, but the truth is I would still categorize this as an aid or shortcut to getting to the best play. Before this concept was so strongly expressed, I believe the great players were essentially saying the same thing in different ways. Like, "Don't overvalue gammons." And "Win the game first, then go for the gammon." and "Pigs get slaughtered."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.