[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon is not chess!

Posted By: Giuliano Pietoso
Date: Friday, 8 March 2013, at 11:23 a.m.

In Response To: Backgammon is not chess! (Joe Russell)

Something like 93%, or more, of matches at the Open level are won, on average, by the player that is luckier.

A curiosity question: what's the source for this information?

Anyways, the dice are part of the game and even new players already expect that the luck factor will play a quite a big roll in the game. The problem is they forget that it's not the only factor and sometime shy away having absolutely no idea how deep backgammon really goes.

I belive playing your best with the dice that are given to you, even if you lose, is part of the ESSENCE of backgammon. It's not an acidental feature that we can just take away or dimish without messing heavily with the essential features that make this game what it is.

I do understand how this can be frustrating to high level players that have mastered a big part of the skills needed to play extremely well, specially when they play with at a very low PR through all their games and just don't win a single match (does this happen often?). Despite that, I still belive, forgive the pun, "tough luck"!

Jokes apart, the giants scene seem pretty consistent as far as rankings and champions go, so thats the living proof that this game is more skill than luck. Let the swings be evened out by the laws of probability... They work!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.