[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Bring back Backgammon-to-lose

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 8 March 2013, at 2:21 p.m.

In Response To: Backgammon is not chess! (Joe Russell)

The first 3 moves you play as badly as you possibly can, then you turn the board around, switch sides, and try to win from there. You can forget your reference positions...you have to rely on skill and creativity to win.

It is my favorite form of backgammon. Yes, the games are long and complicated and fun. Just play shorter matches to compensate for the longer games.

It's no coincidence that when this was offered as a side event years ago, the player who I am told had the best record was Nack Ballard who was pretty much considered the best player in the game at the time. That's a pretty strong testimonial that this variation is a game of skill.

I remember playing this in one tournament and both me and my opponent rolled several high doubles early in the game and both boards were massively crashed. Then we turned the board around and it was my turn, and I rolled, and thought and thought, and my opponent said, "So Phil, what's your game plan?" I had no idea where to begin! One thing I knew...it wasn't priming!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.