[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon is not chess!

Posted By: Frank Berger
Date: Sunday, 10 March 2013, at 10:18 p.m.

In Response To: Backgammon is not chess! (Bob koca)

I am not saying it is of no use but that levels model has some big flaws. For example suppose we look at variance reduced backgammon instead of regular backgammon. The complexity rating would increase but strategically it is exactly the same game.

You're absolutely right, this is a very simplistic model, but I regard this model as useful by comparing games on an easy to graps scale and I know no other approach.

There is a twist in that backgammon is played to different number of points but let's say we get Elo ratings only based on 11 point match to roughly match a chess game. The Elo system is self correcting. If everyone has played enough games the dog in a 200 Elo difference match would have same chance in backgammon or in chess.

Naturally you are right, ELO is ELO. What I wanted to express is that in chess you get more return per effort in terms of elo on a high level. Beyond a certain level, the effort in BG is huge to gain very small advantages, that are hidden in the noise of random.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.