[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tournament Resignation Rule

Posted By: AP
Date: Sunday, 25 August 2013, at 5:36 p.m.

In Response To: Tournament Resignation Rule (TarHeelFan)

In the example she provided, a 50/50 hedge is agreed to mid-match. Suppose that match was the semi-finals, and I am waiting for the winner in the finals. Before this hedge, each player has incentive to win, and I am cheering for the worse of the two to advance. After her hedge, a player may be completely indifferent to winning or defaulting. In my view, these side-bets change the incentives of the players, and I do not consider this to be proceeding 'normally.'

You made the point that any agreement that makes it better for a player to default than to win should be questioned. Of course I agree, but it seems her deal makes it financially equivalent for a player to default or win...and this also rubs be the wrong way.

If I was waiting in the finals and saw that deal go down in the semis, I would be upset. The better player may care to advance for the sake of circuit points, prestige, etc...while the worse player may be perfectly content to take the cash, and go drop out to play high-stakes cash games on the side.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.