[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Re: I don't understand this pos.

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 16 January 2007, at 9:22 p.m.

In Response To: I don't understand this pos. (muf211)

I was waiting to let other's tackle this but seems like I'm the only postwhore around today. First, let's actually count shots because saying one leaves a 'direct' and another leaves and 'indirect' doesn't always necessarily sum up which leaves the fewest shots.

20/9 - 6-1, 5-2, 6-2, 5-3 are all hitters. That's 8 shots. 20/14 13/8 - all deuces except 3-2 (which is used to anchor up) This means 9 shots.

One thing about 20/14 13/8 though is that some of the hitters, such as 6-2, 5-2, 4-2, don't play all that cleanly. Sure, it may hit two blots, but it's far from an ideal roll. You'd probably rather have a 4-1 than a 6-2 in this position. If you were to give Blue another spare on his midpoint the plays would be much closer as his hitters #s would play better.

Both plays add a builder to the front of the prime. Both plays also aim at the back of the prime, one slots it directly and is more destructive if hit [20/9] while the other provides double coverage if your opponent hops out and still leaves some point making #s for the 9 & 10 pts. [as well as adding the extra non 8 pt. breaking #s to make the 3 or 4 pts.] It isn't grave if you're hit on the 14 pt. after playing 20/14 but if you're hit at the back of the prime you've lost a lot of your outfield control by allowing your opponent to seize that control. It's now he who has escaped a checker and you who has two stuck in his home board.

A last rather minor factor is losing less pips in the race. Not a real concern, but you never know how much these minor factors can add to the overall equity of one play v. another. Hope I didn't ramble too much because I sure felt like I did.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.