[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A made-up game to illustrate some points about skill and luck

Posted By: Maik Stiebler
Date: Wednesday, 28 January 2015, at 2:09 p.m.

In Response To: A made-up game to illustrate some points about skill and luck (Tom Keith)

Do you mean, for example, by playing many matches between two opponents and observing the variableness of the results to get a measure of luck?

No, I just meant a measure of luck that is derived from a measure of practical equity (I tried to clarify what I mean by thathere) in the same way that bot luck is derived from bot equity.

I wanted a definition that leads to useful properties about how luck relates to skill.

I want that too, if only because I had to explain that there are no such properties regarding luck and skill as measured by bots about a thousand times. Rollout equity based measures of luck (and skill) do have similar properties as those based on perfect equity - a pet subject of mine, even though it has been more than four years since the last time I mentioned it here. As in my mind, practical equities are just a special flavor of rollout equities (not that special, actually: Rollout equities are practical equities under the assumption that the opponents play like the bot), you see where my urge to babble about them comes from.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.