[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Bad Sportsmanship To Complicate Game When Opponent Short On Time?

Posted By: Phil simborg
Date: Sunday, 1 February 2015, at 10:33 a.m.

In Response To: Bad Sportsmanship To Complicate Game When Opponent Short On Time? (Paul Weaver)

I think it's bad sportsmanship to accuse anyone of bad sportsmanship so long as what they do is in accord with the rules. Criticize or change the rules if you believe they allow someone to take advantage of their opponent, but don't criticize a player who plays honestly and fairly within the rules.

For example, if you play non-legal moves and a player puts his own checker on the bar the rules say you can and should penalize him for his blunder--or failing to pick up a checker that should have been hit. I never liked that rule and I might not choose to enforce it that way, but I would never fault anyone for taking advantage of his opponent legally.

If you can play a complicated game to make you opponents use up his clock, that's his problem for letting his clock get so low.

I saw Mochy play his second roll 6-5 like a beginner and I was sitting next to and behind him and did not see his clock and I thought he was drunk! It was only later I found out about the time on the clock and I typed a message on my I-phone and showed the other spectators behind me (Victor and Herb and many other) to let them know what was going on without alerting the players that we were communicating about the clock (for fear of distracting them or alerting them about time). That made everything more exciting and interesting for all watching.

There is no question that the lack of time hurt Mochy's PR in that complicated game -- perry pointed out to me later a bear off blunder in 4-4 that I am sure Mochy would never make if he had more time.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.