[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Responding to Tom Keith

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Sunday, 1 February 2015, at 8:00 p.m.

In Response To: Responding to Tom Keith (Tom Keith)

I've searched a bit, also without success. The closest thing I found was this post by Bill Riles, but Bill wasn't objecting to the stratagem. He was suggesting that those who were arguing for certain kinds of clock etiquette (such as reminding your opponent to press the clock) should, by the same logic, also object to intentionally complicating the game in the hope that your opponent will time out.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that I wasn't able to find a single person who stated that they thought this would be bad sportsmanship, or at least that they would personally never adopt such a stratagem because they did not want to intentionally try to win a match on time. I mean, I can see why everybody thinks it's fine to intentionally complicate a game against a weaker opponent, hoping that the opponent will have trouble with the positions that arise, but that's different from making a play that you would never make against that opponent if they had plenty of time on the clock.

I once read about a chess player who was defending against a strong, probably winning, attack and, noticing how low his opponent was on time, made a very strange move that exposed his king. His opponent was stunned, and figured that there had to be a quick checkmate. He stared and stared, looking for the mate, and then his flag fell and he lost.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.