[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Solution: Put Less Time On The Clock?

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Tuesday, 3 February 2015, at 7:13 a.m.

In Response To: San Antonio--Good and Bad (Phil Simborg)

When facing the problem Phil described (various people alive in multiple events on Sunday), I want to propose some possible solutions. (1) Require everyone to play with a clock and/or (2) Reduce the time allowed on the clock by at least 50% and/or (3) Play the event to the semis and split the prize money and/or (4) Reduce the length of the matches by one or more points. I have read the entire Bible and nowhere does it forbid matches being played to an even number of points.

Stating this policy somewhere in the brochure would be a very good idea if the TD might do either (1), (2), (3) or (4).

Mochy is the only strong player I know of who is in favor of players being given more than 2 minutes per point on the clock. Personally, it would be fine by me if Championship players were given only 1 minute per point on the clock for all matches. I love Jeb's Faster Masters event on Thursday night in Charlotte, even though I have lost in the first round both times I have played in it. I would love more Faster Masters and speedgammon events.

If we ever expect to turn backgammon into a spectator sport, we should consider giving everyone less time. This would eventually result in more people watching streamed matches. For me, the game is so much more enjoyable when played at a reasonable pace. Kenji and I average 25 minutes to complete our 9pt online matches. I believe if players got used to playing faster, the vast majority would enjoy it more.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.