[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What I thought over the board when I double slotted (long)

Posted By: Coolrey
Date: Tuesday, 10 February 2015, at 8:59 p.m.

In Response To: What I thought over the board when I double slotted (long) (Mochy)

I heard about this game, and saw a crowd across the room. I was told it took 45 minutes and both players were playing with 11 seconds or less on their clocks.

I lost to Mr. Loero in a doubles final, he does seem deliberate, but he plays quite well. I have also played a massive back game against Mochy myself in the Dual Duel final last year.

I believe what this situation proves is that it is almost ridiculous to use your opponent running out of time as a reason to justify drastic checker plays to make the game both more complicated and long. Neither of them timed out, and someone can always default to speed gammon at the last minute.

Similarly it was silly of me to consider this same approach v Mochy in round one of the DD. He used 7 of his 22 minutes in the first game, unfortunately he won a gammon on 4 which effectively shortened the match. I (or you) will never be able to force Mochy to lose on time! Same thing with Mr. Loero, I am sorry if I am spelling his name wrong.

Also in Seattle last year I was convinced that my opponent would run out of time because he was very low on it midway through the match. Ultimately he doubled me when HE was playing a back game, got a shot, hit it, and gammoned me for the match. He was like a chess player, and I realized that changing strategy in hopes the opponent will time out is largely useless!

He will realize it and just play faster at the end. Only a dunce like MCG would time out, or someone elderly like Norm Wiggins or Larry Liebster who have dexterity issues due to shaking hands. In that case it is just cruel to use this tactic, meanwhile your PR sky rockets.

So the epilogue seems to be, be glad if you are playing Mochy or anyone else and he uses all his time in the first three games. Try to stay close in the score. Your biggest advantage will result when he/they can't think for extended periods later in the match because they wasted time early in it. NEVER expect to WIN on time, it is an unrealistic assumption that does NOT justify exotic, and bad, checker plays. Been there, done that.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.