[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon for Losers - Caveat Emptor!

Posted By: Phil simborg
Date: Tuesday, 17 November 2015, at 5:35 p.m.

In Response To: Backgammon for Losers - Caveat Emptor! (Chris Bray)

The book is lovely and fun for beginners and i recommend it highly. I stand by my recommendation.

I provided a lot of help and material but did not edit the final copy and i completely agree with Chris that there are errors and some poor choices of diagrams and positions.

I immediately saw several errors after the first edition was published, including of course naming Mochy instead of MCG in the weight bet. Simon has the ability to make almost instant changes to future copies and had already corrected this and other errors. Keep in mind that for $10 he is not trying to make a buck--in fact he will lose money--but his book will reach more people and get more people excited about the game.

Simon saw Chris's ripping review and immediately took the high road, he wrote Chris admitting the faults and requesting Chris's constructive help and advice to correct, and offered to pay him. He also asked me to go through the book more critically to make corrections and improve positions, and i am sbout 1/3 done with that and will continue.

As for false reviews, i know that many of them are not false snd the high number is due to Simon throwing a kickoff party and giving out the book to many friends and asking them to post an honest review. If there are false reviews I believe that is difficult to prove and a nasty and possibly slanderous accusation.

Bottom line is this is NOT a book for the readers of this forum but it certainly, because of the title and price, will reach a lot of casual players and they will learn much and see the fun side of the game--all great for backgammon.

I can certsinly inderstand where Chris is coming from having authored several great and accurate books and resenting one that doesnt meet those standards and is suddenly selling a hell of a lot of copies.

Everything wrong in the book will be corrected quickly for future editions and instantly for on line editions and this could have been done without so much negativity.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.