[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Director's ruling at the Chicago Open...

Posted By: Chiva Tafazzoli
Date: Friday, 27 May 2016, at 2:33 p.m.

In Response To: Director's ruling at the Chicago Open... (Rick Janowski)

I understand the fair-play and legal play perspective.

I have a problem with the formal part of the problem.

My problem is that both players shook hands and agreed that there was one loser (on time) and one winner. Match over. Thatīs a formal and official act. In the same way, even if illegal, if 2 players agree willingly or as a lack of knowledge, to play a shorter match or a longer match than the official length and upon completion, agree on who was the winner and who was the loser, the victory stands. There might be another form of penalty for both of them but the match and the victory are not void.

The problem was brought up later by a kibitzer (not an official monitor). Usually, kibitzers are to be silent and stfu, unless they discover a "cheating", which was not the case here. I have doubts about illegal plays (deliberately or coincidentially) being accepted by both players (deliberately or coincidentially) being qualified as "cheating".

To me, penalizing the winner is a possibility to enforce the "unfair" behavior. He sure wonīt get the "fair-play award". However, voiding the victory and continuing the match is not an option to me.

Had a ruling committee been in place, it might have overruled my decision as TD, or confirmed it. Either way is fine.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.