[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two reasons why letting your opponent time-out makes you a rules-breaker

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Saturday, 28 May 2016, at 1:38 a.m.

In Response To: +1 you're right (Chiva Tafazzoli)

Chiva, if you let your opponent lose on time, in a "legal-moves-only" tournament, why are you not guilty of breaking the rules?

I can think of two reasons why you are.

First, you had a turn. During your turn, you may have had a chance to double. At the least, you had the opportunity to think. And yet, having had a turn, you did not punch the clock to signify the end of your turn. That is illegal on your part. Under legal-moves—as well as all other rule sets—when you knowingly make an illegal play, such as this, you have violated the rules. A willful rules violation might even be called cheating.

So, the first rules violation is your failure to punch the clock at the end of your turn.

The second violation is allowing your opponent to make more than one move during a single clock cycle. Under "legal-moves-only," any time more than one move is made per clock cycle, it is illegal. If you knowingly allow your opponent to make more than one move in a single clock cycle, that means that you saw—and condoned—an illegal move. Why is that not a rules violation?

You and Stick have both argued that two or three reminders to punch the clock is all an opponent is "entitled" to have. After that, you claim you have the right to disregard the "legal-moves" status of a tournament.

Does the same logic apply to illegal checker plays? After you correct an opponent's illegal checker plays two or three times, do you feel that you can thereafter disregard the "legal-moves" status of a tournament?

I can see getting frustrated—and even a bit mad—at a player who continually needs correction. I don't agree, however, that that entitles you to violate the rules in either of the two ways described above.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.