[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two reasons why letting your opponent time-out makes you a rules-breaker

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Saturday, 28 May 2016, at 10:19 a.m.

In Response To: Two reasons why letting your opponent time-out makes you a rules-breaker (Stick)

Sorry, Stick.

I'm not trying to cast aspersions your way. I have watched you play many times in Internet streams. I have also transcribed a few of your matches. For me, that means paying close attention. Your demeanor, etiquette, and attention to the rules is fantastic. They are among the best I have seen from any player. No quick-rolls, no excessive dice shaking, no picking up the checkers your opponent hits, no two-hand-three-card-monty, no nothing. Just good play and a friendly, cordial attitude.

What you just wrote, however, does not make sense to me.

What am I doing that is illegal here? They make a move without punching the clock their turn is not over. If I've already reminded them multiple times they can sit and spin. I'm doing nothing illegal. I'm not taking my turn. I'm not rolling the dice. I'm staring at the board until they figure out they have to hit the clock.

Does that interpretation work in a "legal-moves" setting?

I would say that rolling the dice more than once in a single turn is illegal.

If you knowingly condone such an illegal action, why are you not guilty of violating the requirement to play legal-moves only?

It seems absurd to claim that your plan was to inform the opponent that he had made a long, long, multiple-roll-but-nonetheless-single-turn illegal move after the games has ended. And if you do allow the game to end, does that not also mean that your opponent's "long" turn has also ended? So once again, at that time, are you not under an obligation to correct the illegal "move" that you witnessed?

If you fail to do so, you have broken the rules.

If, as a tournament director in a legal-moves tournament, I were asked to rule whether a time-out under the circumstances described above should be allowed to stand, it would take me about one second to rule that the time-out was invalid. This is based on the scenario described above, where a player admits knowing that the dice were repeatedly rolled during a "single" turn, but did nothing to stop it.

In addition, I would give a warning to a player who argued that he was under no obligation to prevent his opponent from rolling the dice more than once during a "long" turn. The argument is absurd on its face.

Of course, by the time that argument has been proffered, things are already spinning out of control. Because of that, I would put an monitor on such a match.

In real life, I don't think that would ever happen in a match of yours.

In fact, I have seen you correct many illegal moves in tournaments where you are not required to do so. When you corrected several such plays in a tournament a few years ago, I posted a long message about it here at BGO. More than once, the corrections in that match hurt you. It would have been in your favor to allow the misplays to stand.

If I recall correctly, at least one them was the sort of clock error we are discussing here.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.