[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Director's ruling at the Chicago Open...

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Saturday, 28 May 2016, at 11:43 a.m.

In Response To: Director's ruling at the Chicago Open... (Joe Russell)

Like you, I have not sat on the fence, and also came down hard on the character of the (unknown) player who, until the ruling, benefited enormously from allowing the situation to continue. But I would like to add this:

Some people have a stronger than average desire to succeed. There is nothing wrong with this - far from it - all societies need 'winners', people with great drive who achieve things. But sometimes, perhaps, these competitive juices can be allowed to influence their ethical behaviour...at least a bit.

I see a player who was in a desperate situation in a DMP game, who was given a glimmer of hope by the illegal, though unprofitable actions of his mentally lapsed opponent. As he continued to fail to point this out, that glimmer of hope grew and grew.

Perhaps we can all learn from this, that it is ultimately 'only' a game, albeit played for money(!), and winning isn't quite as important as we'd like to think?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.