[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two reasons why letting your opponent time-out makes you a rules-breaker

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 28 May 2016, at 1:30 p.m.

In Response To: Two reasons why letting your opponent time-out makes you a rules-breaker (Taper_Mike)

Well-stated, Mike. I understand and agree with the idea that if your opponent consistently does something illegal, like not hitting the clock and constantly making illegal moves (many more like touching the cube, fast rolling, etc. etc.) that a player might say "screw him and the rules I am done being a nice guy and helping him." No question I have felt this same way.

But at what point is it right for a player to decide that he, himself, can break or ignore the rules because he thinks his opponent is stupid, or a jerk, or inconsiderate, or any reason at all? The correct answer is, there is no point.

The only proper recourse if your opponent is a consistent offender is to call the tournament director and let him deal with it.

I know people who fast roll and don't stop. And I know one guy who fast rolled him in return to show him how rude it is. Anyone watching, and any tournament director, must rule that the second player fast-rolled and his roll might not count (if the opponent so chooses) EVEN THOUGH it was in retaliation. And even if nothing happened, once you decide that you can arbitrarily bend or break some rules when you feel like it, you have lost your credibility as a person who respects and abides by the rules in other situations.

One very clear rule is that the players do not have the right to mutually agree to change the rules, whether they do it by agreement or in practice. Let's say they both agree to roll on the wrong side of the board in bearoffs; or both agree to fast roll; or both agree not to worry about hitting the clock. EVEN IF there is no problem between them and no incident they have done something wrong. They have disregarded the rules and the sanctity of the game and institution. Some may say they have an "unfair" advantage playing the way they do that causes them less stress during the match. Others might say it is simply distracting if spectators are watching. I say it develops bad habits and it becomes a slippery slope to start fudging a little here and there. What happens if you opponent goes a little too far in another area or rule that you think is going a little too far? How can you call him on one rule violation when you ignored others?

So as much as I understand and respect Stick and others who say they are going to "punish" their opponent for consistent poor behavior or rule violations, I'm sorry, but they don't have that right. It is simply wrong by any standard.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.