[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Director's ruling at the Chicago Open...

Posted By: winfox
Date: Sunday, 29 May 2016, at 4:08 a.m.

In Response To: Director's ruling at the Chicago Open... (rory)

I have never played with a clock, but just my thoughts.

I don't see why anyone should compromise their own ethics and in the process risk breaking the rules to help the op.

If op is thinking a long time, you properly don't wish to upset his trail of thought. But your own judgement on the position might give you a clue; for example, a 61 after an opening 54 (split) makes the bar, and if he doesn't punch the clock within a few seconds it's fair to assume he's forgotten about it. But even so you don't know that for sure, and that 61 is not an automatic play; a friend respected as a good player and very short on time, against an equally good player whose tactic at a comfortable MP was to pile on the time pressure with a major backgame, slotted his own bar with a hit. May have been a bit loose, but bears thinking about.

Then, if op has forgotten to punch the clock and you do nothing at all, the two of you are looking at the board and the onus must be on op to figure why you've entered the zone; no need to describe what each is likely thinking, but he will eventually realise it is his blunder, not yours, and if not then taken to extreme you win on time. Otoh, if he is assuming you have forgotten about the clock and fails to remind you, then why should you remind him?

As others have said players should focus on the game, not show what a shiny halo you own by volunteering to waste energy helping the op when he falters, and having it bite you with a possible rebuke or even a caution. In other words, when you are right don't risk making yourself wrong.

The rules are no secret and everyone has access to them. In every other game a player that doesn't follow the rules and protocol will be penalised or even disqualified according to the severity of his breach; why should bg be different?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.