[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Director's ruling at the Chicago Open...

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Tuesday, 31 May 2016, at 9:17 p.m.

In Response To: Director's ruling at the Chicago Open... (Colin Owen)

I too am a little puzzled by the easy leap from a condemnation of the player's action when the situation was initially described, to the conviction that "he clearly wasn't trying to do anything unfair" based solely on Michel's identity having been revealed and a general consensus that he's an honest player.

What's missing is an explanation of *why* Michel's experience and background in competitive backgammon would lead him to view allowing his opponent's clock to run out in this way is simply a valid part of the game. For instance, is this the practice in his home country, or in Europe in general? If so, it seems a shame that no one came out and said so right away when this story emerged.

I'm reminded of the lambasting of Herb Gurland on this forum a few years ago when he enforced an opponent's illegal and self-detrimental play in a setting where 'Legal Plays' were not in force. Those who defended his actions didn't merely do so because "they knew Herb and knew he would never cheat" -- they explained his understanding of the rules and pointed out that his actions were in keeping with them, as well as in keeping with the traditions in his home club, the NEBC, which even now has a 'strict play' policy on the books (often ignored).

I'm not intending any implied comments about Michel's character. Indeed, his insistence that he did what he did intentionally and unashamedly did give me the impression he was coming from a tradition where technical clock husbandry is 'part of the game.'

Is that the case?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.