[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USBGF Rules

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Saturday, 8 October 2016, at 10:34 a.m.

In Response To: USBGF Rules (Bill Riles)

I have a knee-jerk reaction against this kind of change, but am willing enough to give it a try. Those who were trying it out in Chicago did seem to eagerly embrace it. What I found annoying, though, was that some of these players would join chouettes and urge adoption of the new rule, and it really causes confusion with players coming in and out of a game, and with those not used to the change perhaps forgetting the new standard so the possibility of 'selective enforcement' comes up. It takes one part of the game I never have to think about and makes it problematic.

I think the rules committee is acting in good faith and I respect their process -- I don't think that having a referendum where potentially half the voters have never even given the new standard a chance is a good idea. Though I viscerally dislike this kind of change, I think there are good arguments for it and it's worth giving it a try and see if the change "takes hold". Those of us who are skeptical might try paying attention during our usual games to see whether we notice a lot of rolls where a ruling would be ambiguous under the new standard.

Though it's beyond the scope of the tournament director's authority, I'd suggest that a custom emerge that the usual chouettes sprouting up around a tournament adopt the same standard as the tournament itself so there isn't a constant need to re-adjust one's habits. Similarly, I'd hope that all events in a tournament follow the same standard.

A last question: What do we call this thing? We need a simple name for the rule ala 'Clock Preferred' or 'Legal Moves’. — "Checkers On-Bounds”? . . . ?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.