[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Its time to think about major changes in tournament backgammon

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Sunday, 19 February 2017, at 3:06 p.m.

In Response To: Its time to think about major changes in tournament backgammon (Phil Simborg)

There are many reasonable topics introduced in the totality of this thread that provide discussion points for potentially improving tournaments.

As has been pointed out, the tournament environment is substantially different in the States and elsewhere so this distinction must be recognized when points are made.

One of the largest problems in the States is the legal ambiguity associated with backgammon tournaments. Of course, I think the whole issue is somewhat ridiculous -- I know backgammon is a game of skill; however, until this is resolved and/or removed I think it will be difficult to attract significant corporate sponsors. Sponsors do not wish to be identified with potentially illegal/illicit activities that could create legal problems and/or bad publicity for them. Certainly, there is 'moral' opposition to 'gambling' by some politicians; however, I think, as with most things political, the problems would be alleviated if the government realizes tax revenues from the activity.

Neil, and others, are absolutely correct on the problems with seeding. With the current tournament financial structure, wherein essentially all revenues are generated through entry fees, I think the seeding of players would be detrimental to tournament attendance. Consequently, the top players might have increased chances of winning smaller prize pools. Only with significant sponsorship moneys and much larger viewing audiences -- both seeking the best pairings in later rounds -- does the seeding of players make sense.

All of the discussions of promotion of 'stars', social media applications, exposure through streaming, television, etc. are all accurate and necessary. The killer is in the details, and the details are implementation and costs.

I see many good ideas from many players; however, they rarely address the financial aspects of the enhancements. In the States the production and direction of a tournament is not a money-making venture. More often than not it is a labor of love and a personal contribution to the backgammon community, with the hope that money is not lost.

Please realize that much can be done with known technological enhancements to streaming, bracket reporting, tournament draws, various wireless notifications to players and to the community, and other topics related to backgammon tournaments. However, all such enhancements require time, staff, equipment, and money. The current tournament model does not provide for such. Some players and viewers recognize this and are willing to contribute to improve the game and the tournament experience; many more are not.

I applaud ideas such as those presented in this thread, and in the consequent discussions to improve the game. I only ask that the dialogue extend beyond the conceptual to include thoughts upon the actual -- implementation, execution, and financial considerations.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.