[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

SMITH and JONES: The hidden meanings of the signs

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 23 February 2017, at 5:39 p.m.

In Response To: SMITH and JONES (Nack Ballard)

The first paragraph of my story offered a little bonus puzzle:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few days ago, I was invited to a posh club that is ironically named the MANLY SLUR. Underneath its banner is a sign stating that ONLY SURLY MADMAN need apply. Finally, a hand-scrawled sign looks like it has been freshly added: Sadly mourn Mr. Merlin, ally. All three have a hidden meaning, or so I heard.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These phrases, of increasing length, are all anagrams of the name of the talented magician, logician, mathematician, pianist and philosopher who I mentioned just above the beginning of my story.

....MANLY SLUR...........................R. SMULLYAN

....ONLY SURLY MADMAN.........RAYMOND SMULLYAN

....Sadly mourn Mr. Merlin, ally.......RAYMOND MERRILL SMULLYAN

The scoop is that the club owner had known Mr. Smullyan personally, and had a fascination for his books. Upon his death, the owner added the italicized tribute (in blue).

A few other candidates I considered for the third anagram were:

.....Alas, mourn merry-mind ally
.....Mourn Merlin's rally, madly!
.....Merlin lays? Normally drum
.....Randomly rill my numerals
.....Merry minds roll manually

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.