[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Awesome position, Paul! Please provide analysis . . .

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 2 March 2017, at 1:36 a.m.

In Response To: Awesome position, Paul! Please provide analysis . . . (Stick)

I definitely agree that failing to see this play as a candidate is mostly a psychological problem that is not so hard to conquer once you get it into your head that with big boardage you can afford big blottage. However, I think it's much tougher to assess whether the play is better than the alternatives. First I think one has to go through the immediate rolls to see how they play, but even that isn't enough, because then one has to weigh that against the longer-term prospects. For example, if Blue plays 13/7 8/6 now, he can potentially split off the anchor next time, so it's not clear that he needs to break anchor right away.

I think part of the story in this position is that 20/18 and 20/16 are not good because of the big swing on White's 64, and so you can't count on being able to split off the anchor satisfactorily next roll.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.