[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

SMITH and JONES: The amazing "FARE" position

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Saturday, 4 March 2017, at 3:23 p.m.

In Response To: SMITH and JONES: The amazing "FARE" position (Timothy Chow)

In Nack's position, since the probability of two consecutive fan/redoubles is less than 1/4, we don't immediately get a divergent series, but as long as there is some finite probability of getting from position X to a position with undefined equity through (alleged) perfect play, then position X itself will also have undefined equity, and the usual concept of "perfect play" goes out the window.

Let's make sure we agree on terminology. As I would define it, "perfect play" is another way of saying "best play" (with the checkers or cube), or a "series of plays that are all best." The concept of "perfect" or "best" is typically arbitrated by the best bot rollout data that is practically available. You define it the same way, yes?

As has been demonstrated, my FARE position can be reached from the opening position through perfect/best play. Do I understand correctly, then, it would follow from your statement (italicized above) that the concept of perfect/best play "goes out the window" in the opening position as well, and indeed in any normal-looking backgammon position?

For example, most of us take for granted that making the 5pt is the best play with an opening 31. Is that "out the window," too?

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.